Friday, March 2, 2012

Soundtrack to My Life

I apologize for the lateness of this post.... Life gets hectic sometimes, but nonetheless Here I am ;)

I absolutely adore music of just about any kind... Jazz, Hip-Hop, Alternative Rock even a little Country; I try not to discriminate. I'm listening to a little John Legend as I speak/type lol The love for music developed for me as a child. My Step dad and mom would play music whenever they had friends over or on holidays.... On Saturdays in the summer, my dad would open the windows to the house and play his music loud; I could be a on a bike ride 7 or 8 blocks away and here is music lol He would play a variety of music Kiko Matsui, Incognito to Red Hot Chili Peppers and my mom... she was a R &B person. Toni Braxton and Mary J. Blige were among her favorites to play (One Christmas, she played Toni Braxton "Talking In His Sleep" so much the CD scratched lol) As a child I remembering dancing to "Whoop there it Is" and was apart of any choir you could think of; from church to school girls chorus to freelance mirror singer lol and when I couldn't sing, I would play my flute ( yea drove the parentals crazy until I learned how to play University of Michigan's "Hail to the Victors... then it was all good lol)

As I got older I started to develop my own musical habits... Listening to FM 98 "Quiet Storm" every night while I ironed my uniforms to recording songs off the radio for my my shoe box of cassette tapes lol Eventually I started listening to artist like Jay-Z, Nas, Lauryn Hill and paying attention to the lyrics only to discover that the beats weren't the only thing to move me but the lyrics seem to speak to me. From the first time falling in love (Jagged Edge- I Gotta Be) to my first broken heart (Kelis- Caught Out There) arguments with my parents (Will Smith- Parents Just Don't Understand) and everything in between. It seemed like it was a song for every emotion I could ever possibly feel and I absorbed every one of them. Party Anthems that got my thru college ( Anything Lil' Jon, Kanye West or Jay-Z did lol), cheating exes ( All of Usher's "Confessions" Album) to my political mo it was a song or artist for it all.

It was these beautifully mastered songs that lead me down the path to writing. I drew inspiration from my music to express the things that I failed to verbalize. Never really one for confrontation ( Don't get it twisted... test my gangsta if you want too!!) I began to keep notebooks to diaries to full out Journals of my every thought and what I was listening to best express and relieve any tension/stress I may have been feeling. It's been 17 years that music and I have been working on the soundtrack and 10 years since I began to write out the "Manuscript" that will one day be my greatest work of art: My Life. Any type of freeing expression of self, my dear 20- somethings should definitely be explored. I'm nowhere near finished, esp. with artist like Kid Cudi, Adele, LMFAO and Mac Miller.... this journey is far from over. On your soundtrack of life my dear 20-Somethings, what songs are the make-up who you are today?

No comments:

Post a Comment