Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Years Resolutions

 Hope everyone's Christmas was wonderful and everything you needed/wanted it to be!

Let me ask you a Question.... How many of you out there make New Years Resolutions? It's said that about 78% of those who make new years resolutions fail at keeping them... men achieve their NYE Goals 22% more than women who achieve them by 10%.  So what does that say about how realistic we are with ourselves? Moreover, how feasible and realistic are the goals we set for ourselves? My mother always preached that if you fail to plan, you plan to fail... what she didn't include in that little saying is that, the plan must obtainable.  For many of us, we spend the last few months of the year in review of the Good, the Bad and Ugly that occurred in our lives that year and by December 31st we have a laundry list full of Things to Do/Change about ourselves and surroundings for the corresponding year. While goal setting is highly endorsed by myself ( HIGHLY!) you must ask yourself this, are these resolutions important because its a new year and you wanna start fresh or are these the items that have been on the back burner anyway?

For example...

Year after year I would make the NYE Goal of losing weight; I would look at myself  and feel disgust for a moment and then say," I'm going to join a gym and lose 50lbs." yet for 3 years straight, I never attempted this goal. Despite the fact that at 23 I had high blood pressure, stood at 5"8 and weighed 240lbs... I wouldn't attempt to do a thing about my weight. it was crazy! It wasn't until 1 of my best friends and I went to an event for singles and posed for pictures that I realized that I had to do something... This was in September 2009. I immediately went into hyperactive Ebony mode and went to work... 2 years later I stand at 5'9 and weigh 168lbs. I said all of that to say this, I didn't need to set aside this goal for a specific time of year or fall into the trend of NYE... again....it was a change that I needed to make to live and be better.

Many of your NYE goals are just things that may need to happen regardless; lets not fall into the routine of making goals for the sake of making them and lets not wait until December 31st for these goals to take precedent. I finally opened my eyes and saw the need for change and made it.... In September! lol I believe in you my dear 20- Somethings, we can do anything at anytime... lets utilize the whole year to make goals and achieve them; And use NYE for its intended purpose..... TO PARTY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment